Getting Our Feet Wet

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Doug LeBert

The last few days we finally had the opportunity to visit AMANC, learn how the organization serves the community, and get our feet wet as we began contributing to the organization and its mission. We were all so impressed with AMANC and how their values align with the incredible services they are able to provide not only Merida, but all of Yucatan, as well as some surrounding states! Walter, the gracious leader of AMANC, provided us with an enlightening tour of AMANC, shared the services the organization offers to cancer patients and their families, and gave us a sneak peak of the magic of the organization! Our team members were extremely impressed and humbled by the organization, and when asked how they can contribute to the organization, all students explained to Walter that they are willing to do whatever the organization needs!  (Several team members, such as Jackson, Maddie, and Tyler even surprised us and broke out their Spanish!) ¡Qué impresionante!

The following day the team worked in AMANC for their first day of service. While some students were painting with the patients and their families (and brushing up on their Spanish), other students helped cleaning the roof of the building, helping with some organization and office work, and participating with the parents of the patients in a yoga class to help relieve some stress and reassure them during the difficult time. It was quite a team effort!

It has not been all work, though! Besides spending time in their service and leadership workshops, our team had an opportunity to design their own piñata. After our first several days, it is starting to seem we are really feeling comfortable together and as a team! Next stop, Plaza Altabrisa for an afternoon of bowling (and perhaps some shopping & snacks!).