Getting to Know Berlin

German Language & Culture

Grace Bielefeld

The German Language and Culture students are starting to learn that visiting a city and getting to know a city are two very different things. They are starting to find that knowing where the Brandenberg Gate or TV Tower is one thing and finding a gluten free bakery or limited time art exhibit is another. As the program progresses, students are being given more opportunities to make choices and select what they would like to do with their time. As they are being allowed to indulge in these freedoms, something really unique happening. They are getting to know the city; they are getting to know Berlin. Yesterday, we had a "museum day" where the kids could opt to go to any museum or activity that they would like. One group stumbled into the House of Music where they rented a recording studio for an hour. Another group saw a local influencer post about a hidden art instillation and got tickets. Others went to a literature museum. Others explored the Festival of Music, and simply wandered into reggae groups, funk artists, folk singers, and Kiez choirs (neighborhood choirs) performing on the streets. Little by little, the students are building an understanding of the city, how it works, how to navigate it, how to find fun, and they are surely learning the difference between being in a city and really getting to know a city. This familiarity will serve them well into their futures, keeping them more deeply connected to this place in the world. Our hope is that they will leave this program having improved their German, yes, but also, we hope that they will leave with a knowing of and an appreciation for Berlin.