Fun and S'more Fun

Jonathan Delorme

The Baltic States have marshmallows, chocolate, and sweet cookies like our graham crackers, however, they do not necessarily put them all together, warmed up by a fire as we do in Maine. Last night, our Global Navigators experienced the true summer activity of roasting marshmallows over a fire. S'mores are a layered sweet that look like sandwiches.

Photo for blog post Fun and S'more Fun
A warm marshmallow slowly cooked over a fire until it is golden brown is placed in between two graham crackers with some chocolate in the middle. Making s'mores is not just about the gooey, chocolate goodness, it is also about gathering around a fire as one big family to share stories and memories. Our participants are from Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania and although they share common geography they are culturally and linguistically diverse. However, in this program, we have all come together in a shared desire to learn, grow and travel. The s'mores activities was a way of celebrating. They had successfully just completed their first two days of the CIEE Global Entrepreneurship Program. 
Photo for blog post Fun and S'more Fun

Participants arrived late Sunday night after hours of traveling. Some had never even been on an airplane before let alone had been to the United States! On Day One, the Navigators visited Portland, the largest city in Maine, to start their Orientation at the CIEE office. In the afternoon, they were tasked with finding local Maine businesses through a scavenger hunt where they had to locate a store by clues. Students either asked local residents, researched facts online or simply wandered around Portland's historic Old Port district. The final clue led students to Captain Sam's, a delicious ice cream shop in the heart of Downtown Portland. 

Photo for blog post Fun and S'more Fun
Further, the students had a chance to explore the University of New England (UNE) campus where they will be staying for three weeks. UNE is a beautiful campus, located in Biddeford, that sits on the Maine coastline overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Students are able, and encouraged, to enjoy the small beach as well as socialize over the amazing food in the new Ripich Commons located next to their dorm. 

The Global Navigators will start formal classes today with their instructors Dr. Christos and Professor David. They are excited to learn about business principles, entrepreneurship skills, and meet different business owners. As their homework and projects begin, they will also continue to take part in new cultural experiences like making s'mores over a fire. Later today, they will learn about America's pastime: Baseball! 

Photo for blog post Fun and S'more Fun