First Days and Homestays

German Language & Culture

Julianne O'Connell

Hallo, Liebe Leute!

Wie gehts, wie stehts?

Hello, lovely people! How's it going, how it is hanging?

I am happy to report that all 42 participants have arrived safely and are all now in Berlin. We are a few days into our program and are loving it so far. I can say that we have a wonderful group of smart and funny students and I am excited to get to know them over the next few weeks. The first few days were a bit rough navigating jet lag and lost luggage and trying to figure out German phones and the Berlin train systems, but our group has stayed wonderful and positive throughout.

The highlight for most of our students was meeting their host families on Sunday evening, a few hours after we arrived. There were a lot of smiles and awkward hugs and handshakes and I was lucky enough to capture some photos of it all.

Photo for blog post First Days and Homestays
Some students from the first group flight waiting for the others to arrive
Sonja, our Program Coordinator, welcoming most of our group!
Amanda and her host mom
Stef and host parents
Anna A and host parents
Sayer and his host family
Julia and Jaqui and their host parents
Jojo and his host dad
Jana and her host dad
Lola and Delia with their host mom who is neighbors with Irene's host mom

A returning program leader, Rorey, tired and happy after a long first day in Berlin!

It has been great to hear some of the students stories from their host families. From birthday parties meeting lots of new people, to new dishes and challenging cultural conversations, the students are already learning so much. I look forward to keeping you updated on their experiences, along with my other Program Leader as well as providing you insights from some of our student guest bloggers! Please check back a few times a week to see what we're up to!

Bis dann!

Until then,

Julianne