Firenze, conosciuto anche come- Florence

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Mia E.

One of the many treasures within our trip to Italy, was our overnight stay Firenze, better known as Florence.

We visited the Historic Center of Florence, in the region of Tuscany, Italy. This is where the Piazza della Signoria is home to many famous Renaissance museums, such as Le Gallerie Degli Uffizi.

Our students were enamored by the bodies of work from the Italian Renaissance behind the walls of the Uffizi. Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, and Caravaggio were some of the masters behind many of the infamous pieces.

We allowed the students to wander between the gallery rooms freely and spend as much time with each creation as they desired.

I came accross a student on my team named Anyza, just as she finished pacing around the museum floor in search of her favorite piece.

Here is her personal account of that experience:

“Omg yes. … I had gone down to the end of the museum and … wanted to see it so I ran up the stairs after asking the cashier where it was. .. I went to the second floor and walked through all the artwork and then I saw the title for it with arrows. Then I finally saw! It I felt like I wanted to cry because I was so happy to be able to see it in real life. The first thing I did wasn’t take out my phone, but I stood there for a good five mins admiring how beautiful it looked. My life felt fulfilled. I still get happy thinking about it right now!”

The next day we visited the medieval Palazzo Castellani to tour the Museo Galileo, who was an Italian astronomer, physicist and engineer. Students explored the Galileo Museum, housing one of the most important collections of scientific instruments and experimental equipment.

Rich in art, history, architecture, and food the, Florence, better known and Firenze, gave us everything we came for.