Final Adventures in Guanajuato, Guanajuato

Francis Burns

Yesterday morning we left Guanajuato and headed to La Colorada. This past week has been a busy one for the group! We finished our service at the albergue on Wednesday and had a nice goodbye meal where the directors of the albergue Lupita and Ale served us pozole. Each student thanked Lupita and Ale (in Spanish!) for their time and generosity.  

The following day, we headed off to Las Conservas de Santa Rosa, a small pueblo in the mountains of Guanajuato. We learned about how this once small business created by 5 local women has now expanded rapidly with their products being sold in a major restaurant throughout Mexico. Also, their business has been recognized by the United Nations for their success. At Las conservas de Santa Rosa, they create jams, chamoy, liqueurs, snacks, and typical Mexican candies such as borrachitos and guayaba. The students were preparing the jams, labeling the products, packaging, selling things in the store among other tasks. 

As well as their service work, students had a week full of small excursions. We visited la Pipila which gave us great views of the city, hiked up La Bufa, visited the museum and historical site el Alóndiga, explored a gold and silver mine, and visited la Iglesia de la Valenciana famous for its interior which is covered in gold. 

Our time ended with a goodbye party to say our farewells and express our gratitude to the host families for their gracious hospitality.