Feel The Rhythm Of The Beat

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Marisa Deku

"Feel the rhythm of the beat," is exactly what our dance instructor, Gala, told us during our dance lesson.  She continued on by saying it's not so important the choreography, but that you feel the music.  Those words have rang in my head ever since.  Music and dance can fill the soul, lifting our spirits and lightening the weight of the world; if we allow it to. 

These brave young individuals showed up in Botswana not knowing anyone.  I remember in their first dance class some of them saying they have no rhythm or don't know how to dance.  But with music we can connect and with dance we can shake away our fears.  And I've seen exactly this amongst the group.  By now they have let loose, are feeling free and ever present in the moment.  Over time they have put down their schedules, going with the flow of the program, learning the tune of different people from places they've never been before, and discovering the true beat of their own drums along the way.  They are becoming more comfortable in uncomfortable spaces, more free to be who they truly are.

"The truest expression of a people is in its dance and music." -Agnes De Mille

Exploring the rhythms of Botswana has enlightened their understanding of this magnificent place we are in, as well as enhancing their understanding of themselves and their true capabilities.