Famous Landmarks: A Way to Connect with Madrid's Culture!!

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Marlee C.

I am now approaching the halfway point of my summer, and am beggining to reflect on all the adventures I have experienced thus far. It is clear to me that in just two weeks, I have grown immensly as an interested student, curious traveler, and caring friend. With each adventure we embark on, we take in new aspects of culture, as well as life lessons to help us succeed in our journey's beyond this summer in Madrid. Each day, we have the chance to explore a new landmark in the beautiful city, which is where a lot of the cultural learning comes from. We learn to be curious, ask questions, and to immerse ourselves in something completely new and foreign each day. Thus far, the most impactful aspects of my trip have been ones that have connected to aspects of my life and also taught me the most about the culture of the city. If you are ever in Madrid, these are my top 3 reccomendations:

1.  Reina Sofia!!

Photo for blog post Famous Landmarks: A Way to Connect with Madrid's Culture!!

Since I was little, I have always found ways to express myself through art. I loved the process of picking my favorite colors, usually the brightest pinks and happiest blues. I loved thinking of a story and plot for each project, and I loved the way seeing the finished product made me feel. I still see the same impact art had on me as a little girl, as it has on me now, now that I am observing some of the most beautiful pieces Ive ever seen. This past week, the Honors students in Madrid toured the Reina Sofia Centro de Arte, one of the most famous art museums in the world. Having studied the incredible works of Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí and Joan Miró prior to coming to Spain, seeing these beautiful paintings in real life completely shifted my perspective. My previous memorization of facts and figures came to life, and I connected with the details. I noticed that Picasso's sketches of Guernica differ greatly from his final product, and that Dalí, in addition to his focus on surrealism, also had great skill for depicting musical instruments in his paintings. Seeing these finished paintings in real life inspired me on so many levels- creatively and intellectualy. Getting to exist in the presence of such masterpieces allowed me to further understand the culture of Madrid, and how art has had such a signifigant impact on the present. I hope everyone has the chance to stand and admire Guernica  at least once in their lifetime.

2. Plaza Mayor!!

After my first day of class at the CIEE Madrid Center, my friends and I were left with a block of free time, and an entire beautiful city to explore before dinner. We couldn't come to a descision about a destination, but decided to just wander. Within a few minutes of walking, we were surrounded by four beautiful brick walls contructed in great detail, with colorful paintings on each, and next to an elegant equestrian statue that we later learned was of King Phillip atop his horse. Plaza Mayor is the capital of Madrid, and filled with contagious energy and shops to explore. The detailed and intricate walls were created in the early 17th century with hopes of preserving the vibrancy of the city, which it succeeds greatly at. Each arched corner of the plaza leads to a new pocket of the city, rich with history and street art. A market with the most delicious tapas is on one side, while countless delectable chocolate stores line another. To the left is the best restaurant to get tortilla de patata, while a pivot to the right leads to a street with vintage clothing and jewlery stores. The Plaza Mayor teaches me greatly about the history of the city through flavors and colors, and allows me to tune into my curious side by exploring out from each arch of the plaza.

3. Retiro Park!!

From a young age, my family taught me the value of exploring nature. Long hikes with my dad, trips to the beach with my sister, stargazing in the summers. In Madrid, I have also established a strong connection to nature through Retiro Park, which has allowed me to feel more apart of the city's enviornment. In the mornings before class, I have made it a priority to run through the stunning park. I follow a dirt trail which surrounds the park, with a canopy of tall bright green trees that encapsulate so much beauty. A huge lake fills the very center, and runs up against Casita del Pescador, and often people rent boats to float along the calm blue water.  Frequently street musicians can be hearn playing the guitar, violin, or simply just their voice, and this adds to the happiness that comes from seeing the park. A huge rose garden grows in front of the Prado Museum, and countless statues can be spotted throughout a walk in the park, each representing diffirent historical figures or turning points in the history of Madrid. The Palacio de Cristal illuminates one side of the park, while the other side houses the botanical gardens offering a maze of intricate and thriving plants and creative growing techniques, introducing tourists to a new way of nature. I love getting to spend time in Retiro Park, and I have gained an even greater appriciation for the city through getting to connect to nature. 

Forming connections with the city's art, architechture and nature has truly enriched my experiance overall, and Im looking forward to connecting further with other aspects of the city in the remainder of my time here.