Family, Food and Dance: Welcome to Botswana

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Marisa Deku
Despite a few delays we are all here and settling into our new homes in Botswana! The students are busy getting to know each other as well as their Botswana peers and families. Day one started off with orientation and then off to the races as they discovered Gaborone and learned about Botswana via an "Amazing Race." Today we wrapped up orientation, had a lesson in Setswana, the local language, and then an afternoon of fun and games, literally. Upon arrival for lunch we had a VIP greeting of traditional dance, just as they would for visiting diplomats, presidents, etc. After enjoying a lunch full of meat, veg, "pap" (porridge), samp and beans it was our chance to turn up the dance floor. They taught us some new dance styles from traditional stomping and singing to some more modern house moves. Rest assured the students showed them some of their moves too, it's all about the exchange. From there we were taught local games played from childhood, some even into adulthood. No balls necessary, they make it work with pebbles and stones or even turn plastic bags into balls. The students have had quite an introduction to Botswana, starting with the people, to the food and language, and of course the dancing!