Experiencing Irish Culture and Arts

Advocating for Social Justice

Hailey Staples

Experiencing Irish Culture and Arts

On their third day in Dublin, students were given the opportunity to learn  and play traditional Gaelic sports. At Experience Gaelic Games hosted by Na Fianna GAA Club, the group learnt about Hurling, Handball, and Gaelic Football. Hurling, which is smiliar to a mixture of Lacrosse, Field Hockey, and Baseball, dates back over three thousand years. Social Justice and Leadership students learned the basics of the game before playing each other in a scrimage. After Hurling, they were able to experience HandBall and then Gaelic  Football, which is similar to Rugby and soccer. . 

In addition to Irish sports, the group was able to take in the more artistic side of Irish culture. They saw Translations at the Abbey Theater, also known as the National Theater of Ireland. The theater itself opened in 1904 and played a vital role in the production of plays that displayed the cultural and social history of Ireland.

. Translations explored the relationship between the English and the Irish in 1833, through the lense of language and communication. Two days later, the students had the oppurtunity to return to the theater and take a backstage tour and further explore the deeper meaning behind the play and see first hand the props and staging.