A European Adventure

Stephanie S.

My name is Stephanie, but I go by Steph for short. I’m from just outside of San Francisco, California (Hillsborough, to be exact!) and I love to play soccer. I’m also scuba-diving certified, a middle child, and was once the national Icelandic hula-hooping champion (in 2012).

This summer, I will be embarking on a 7-week long journey with CIEE, starting in Brussels, Belgium to study World Government and then continuing to Palma de Mallorca, Spain for the Spanish Language Intensive.

I was excited about the World Government program in Brussels, Belgium because of my interest in international politics. I participate in Model United Nations, student council, and political campaigns at home. Our world is changing rapidly, and I am captivated by learning about what is driving the change and how we can steer politics to be shifting in a positive direction. Studying a subject I love while surrounded by others that are also extremely passionate about that subject is going to be an incredible experience.

On a separate note, the Spanish Language Intensive in Palma de Mallorca, Spain intrigued me for so many reasons. Similarly, I was excited about absorbing the Spanish culture. I have been trying to become fluent in Spanish for several years now, so I was also thrilled at the idea that I could immerse myself in the culture and truly internalize the language. I’m a people person, so I’m excited to meet my homestay family, talk with new friends, and interact with the locals in my new language.

To prepare for my programs, I lightly researched what daily life was like in Brussels and Palma de Mallorca. I was hoping that this would help lessen the effects of culture shock for when I arrived in these locations. While I still have an underlying feeling of unpreparedness, I know that my trip leaders and fellow students are going to be supporting me and learning with me all throughout our journey together.

Although I am nervous about leaving home for such a long period of time, I am beyond excited about the opportunities that lay ahead of me. I know that I am going to have the best summer ever with CIEE!

- Stephanie