Et tu, Brutus?

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Frieda Gebert

Greetings from Rome,

Sunday was a looooooonng day. Our students got up early to join forces with the Legambiente, or local Environmental League, to clean a bike trail in the city. (It was important to get an early start before the sun got too hot.)Our intrepid travelers donned vests and hats, picked up rakes and brooms, and picked up trash for several blocks while they learned about the work of this local organization. Making the bike trails more accessible cuts down on traffic problems, and picking up trash reduces the incidents of brushfires in the summer in Rome heat.

After a bit of rest and shopping, we headed for a nighttime multi-media light/music/theatrical presentation at an excavation site in the center of Rome. It was AMAZING! The site is home to some of the most historic ruins in the city, including the Curia Julia where the Imperial Roman Senate met – and where Julius Caesar was murdered. The whole place came to life for us under the stars.

We didn’t get home until midnight, but it was well worth the long trek home.  Thanks for checking out this blog and stay tuned for our next student blogger!

Frieda