Enjoying The Sunny Side: "Las Fuentes del Algar"

Our last Sunday before departure we had two destinations that were really interesting and fun. First stop was "Las Cuevas De Canelobre", near Bussot (a little town few kilometers from Alicante). These caves are some of the largest in Spain that feature very old stalactites and stalagmites (100,000 plus years...). They were discovered sometime around the IX century and were used as a workshop to repair planes during the Spanish civil war. Nowadays, they are visited by many hundreds of tourists every year and often used for musical concerts (especially during the summer months). Unfortunately, I can not show you a picture because it was not allowed to take them inside, but here is one of our group at the entrance.

Photo for blog post Enjoying The Sunny Side: "Las Fuentes del Algar"

After enjoying the inside...it was time to have fun on the outside. We headed out to "Las Fuentes del Algar", a natural creek near Benidorm in the northern part of the province (much greener and lush than the Southern part, by the way). These "fountains" feature little ponds and waterfalls where people like to swim and hang out. Students were free to roam and play at the fountains as they wished.

Since the temperature was really high that day, it felt like the perfect time for this activity. Walking around I could see students relaxed simply eating a sandwich under a tree or enjoying the beauty of the place (the water is icy cold from the mountains with beautiful blue and green hues).

Towards the end of the day, most of us dared to jump off a natural trampolin as you can see below ...It was so MUCH fun!

I personally love cultural activities, but nature has always a way to reconnect ourselves with that side of things that is beyond all cultures, and countries, that part of us that is more essential and simple. Who said you need money to have a terrific time? Just come to "Las Fuentes."

It is said that the shortest distance between two people is a smile... I saw a lot of them that day so I can say with confidence that great memories and connections were made at the "Fuentes del Algar."Do you need proof? Our bus was quite like never before going back to Alicante. All students were sleeping, staring at the landscape, or just talking quietly. That is when you know that we went all out, that we had a blast.