Discovering Dragonera Island!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Paulina Molina

As the first week of our high school marine biology study abroad program in Mallorca, Spain drew to a close, our enthusiastic group embarked on a thrilling excursion to Dragonera Island. Located off the southwest coast of Mallorca, Dragonera Island is an uninhabited nature reserve, where pristine landscapes merge with the sparkling blue waters of the Mediterranean. Named Dragonera for its silhouette resembling that of a dragon, the island was once used to keep watch for Barbary pirates operating in the sea. 

In 1974, the island was purchased by a Spanish company and plans were put forward to construct a luxury resort, casino and port. Local ecologists got word of these plans and began protesting heavily, pushing for the island to remain uninhabited and to be further protected. Finally, in 1987, the Balearic regional government purchased the island and declared it as a protected nature reserve. 

Our day was filled with excitement and discovery as we delved into field research, donned our snorkeling gear, and embarked on a scenic hike to the Llebeig watchtower. Dragonera Island became a living classroom for our students, igniting curiosity and reinforcing their commitment to protecting and conserving our fragile marine environments. One of the most enchanting aspects of Dragonera Island was encountering the friendly and curious Lilford wall lizards (Podarcis lilfordi giglioli) that call this place home. Known as “Sargantanas” by the locals, these welcoming little reptiles are a high-priority protected species and kept students company during our time exploring the island. 

As we move forward in our marine biology program, the memories of our time on Dragonera Island will continue to inspire us. We eagerly await the adventures and discoveries that lie ahead, grateful for the opportunity to explore the wonders of the marine world here in Mallorca.