Day Trip to Kutná Hora

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Courtney Kobos

Kutná Hora 

This is a guest post by Clara and Natalie 

Our trip to Kutná Hora was a suprise that taught us about historical beauty in the churches. Going into this we weren’t sure what to expect, but after visiting the Sedlec Ossuary also known as the Bone Church, we were shocked at the amount of history and knowledge in the bones. 

40,000 people's bones are on display in this marvel of human ingenuity, and everyone was shocked by the bones all over the walls, the stacks of skulls, and the chandelier. It’s rumored that the chandelier has one of every bone in the human body. We would say everyone was either intrigued or unsettled by this experience. 

Next, we visited the church called The Church of All Saints, and it reflects the town’s history with the monks and religion. There were many chapels and cathedrals, and back in the times the ideal of the monks was to have a simple space where they could pray. 

The Church of Saint Barbara was significantly smaller than the previous church, but still had lots of old art. Barbara was especially important to the town of Kutná Hora because she is the patron saint of minors. The town is known for its silver mining, and nowadays a big attraction is the Saint Wenceslas Festival, which we had the opportunity to witness. The people dress in historical garments and events to remember the history of the town. 

We also completed a spray painting workshop which taught us about expressing emotions in a medium most of us had never used before. Overall, this trip taught us a lot about the value of history, and gave us the chance to see Czech life outside of the big city. 

- Clara and Natalie