Day trip to Aarhus

Taking Climate Action

Susan Warren

Our Global Navigators left Copenhagen for a day to visit the 2nd largest city in Denmark, Aarhus. Aarhus is located Northeast of Copenhagen, and about 300 km by roadways (or 200km by water). The groups took a bus tour of the Danish countryside, crossing bridges, and agricultural areas in the early morning. In Aarhus, we toured the Den Gamle By, or The Old Town, an open-air museum located in the central part of the city. This site consists of dozens of restored buildings to replicate a market town of the 17th and 18th century, as well as a slice of Danish life in the year 1974. Students learned about social, cultural and economic activities during these different times with a tour guide and through interactive "theater" used throughout the museum. Students also toured the The Dome (Domen), which is a creative space for cultural events and hosts a community garden along the harbor front in the central part of Aarhus. Students also had free time to explore the ARoS Aarhus Art Museum or the many local shops of the area.