A day in Tivoli

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Tracy Gallo

On Saturday, June 18, the exploring Rome through the arts students had a day trip to Tivoli. Tivoli is situated 30km east-north-east of Rome. Students had a guided tour of the Villa d'Este which is a 16th century structure and UNESCO World Heritage Sight. It was built for Ippolito d'Este, the 16th century Cardinal. It is absolutely breath taking! There are plenty of gardens to walk through and the fountains are beyond impressive. Just when we thought we saw the most beautiful fountain, we continued walking and found one that was better than the last! The students enjoyed the guided tour which was led by their art history professor and took many photos!!! What a beautiful background they were provided! After the tour, students had some free time to explore the city before meeting for lunch. Students were treated to lunch outside on the patio at Buca di Sant Antono. Students enjoyed some cacio e pepe and tiramisù. It was a hot day in Tivoli and many students cooled down with a gelato before getting on the bus to return to Rome.