Cultivation in China

Karen Du

Students last week tried their hands (literally) at both Chinese calligraphy writing 写书法 and the ancient martial art form, Tai Chi 太极拳!

Chinese calligraphy dates back to 1100 BCE, even before the invention of paper. It is not just a form of decorative art but also a means of self-expression and cultivation of character. A popular saying is, "How one writes is as important as what one writes." Together, the brush (made with a wooden or bamboo handle with a bundle of animal hairs), ink, inkstone, and paper are considered the Four Treasures of Study in China. Students learned to use all four to first practice their Chinese writing and even painting!

Then they wrote and painted their characters onto a wooden fan as a special souvenir.

Students also took a beginner's Tai Chi class with a Tai Chi master who has been practicing for over thirty years. Tai Chi is a martial arts focused on one's inner mental state and thus, has slower movements than the martial arts we know in the West. It is practiced mainly for health benefits, meditation, and longevity of life. Although the movements are slow, one can work up a sweat following along with the exact movements!

(Fun fact: the teacher said we were her most well-behaved and fastest-learning class she's taught this semester!)

Through these two classes, we got to experience two ancient and respected Chinese traditions. Both required quiet and concentration, and both are much more difficult than they look! Although an hour barely scratches the surface of these traditions, students enjoyed delving into something new and gaining exposure and wisdom- the same way Chinese students a thousand years ago did!