Cooking in class in Florence

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Tracy Gallo

On Wednesday, 22 June, the Global Navigators became Italian cooks for a few hours! At the Baldovino bistrot, they learned how to make gnocchi and pizza. To make the gnocchi, the students pressed boiled potatoes into a bowl and added eggs, salt, nutmeg and semolina flour. Some brave volunteers took their turns at mixing it together and forming it into a dough. Once in dough form, they broke off pieces and rolled them into logs. From there, they cut them into bite-sized pieces. The gnocchi were boiled and tossed in marinara sauce, ready to be served family style. After successfully making the gnocchi, each student was taken to the kitchen area where they made their own margherita pizza. Several of them were very creative in forming their pizzas and placing the toppings just right. We all enjoyed the cooking lesson and dinner, and some of us even managed to save just a little bit of room for a gelato before calling it a night. These Global Navigators had another fantastic day in Florence!