City gates before sunset

Anthony Abate

It was long awaited - and did not disappoint! The students finally arrived in Jmaa El-Fna, the heart of ancient Marrakech this evening. This city, famous for the caravans of spice traders crossed the Atlas Mountains to reach the city gates before sunset, was alive with action. Just as those people would have entered the city gates before they were closed and locked at sunset, we entered the gates and parked our van just before sunset for own evening in the old medina. Our guide, Mohammed, led us through the less-crowded-than-usual square and explained how local storytellers, artists, traders. food stall owners, etc. struggle to make ends meet in Morocco's centuries-old crossroads. He gave us a brief history of the development of the square and what the government plans for the future.

Photo for blog post City gates before sunset

The students observed the square, which COVID had emptied of tourists, in a new way and with appreciate for the history and hard work of the many Moroccans in Marrakech to maintain the heritage of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. We wandered through the winding passageways full of olives, spices, oil, tajines, carpets, and traditional clothing. The students asked many questions to understand the city better and gain perspective. The night ended with a beautiful view of the mostly-darkened medina from a rooftop Moroccan restaurant with plenty of good conversation and laughter about all that the students had learned during the day.