Chira Highlights

Climate Change Mitigation

Roseangela Hartford
During our time in Chira, we visited with women's cooperatives, local artisans, fisherman, and entrepreneurs seeking to improve the sustainability of their island community. Often we sat in awe listening to inspiring narratives such as Dona Dora and Dona Lili who started their entrepreneurial venture with Albergue Damas to protect the landscape while overcoming masculine dominated spaces of employment within the ecotourism economy. After hitting the beach, trying new food, sharing stories, and reflecting on how students can become more sustainable through their daily actions, I wanted to take the opportunity to share the spectcaular photography of CIEE Global Navigator Karime Sepulveda of Chicago. Since photos speak louder than words, I will let her vision lead you through some of the most humbling moments.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

Butterflies surrounded us every morning, especially along the path with plants that attract butterflies with their bright colors like shown here.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

​We were greeted by some other larger friends along the way including vultures.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

In the evenings, we saw all kinds of critters like this poisonous toad. At first, some students were frightened to come closer but soon enough everyone was delighted to have caught a glimpse at this sapo.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

Although we were overwhelmed by wildlife, the real magic was happening as students began to connect and inspire courage to share, try new things, and overcome fears.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights

​Once getting adjusted to sleeping under mosquito nets, finding new friendly critters nearly everywhere, and enjoying the peace of Chira, true friendship began to blossom and flourish. Stay tuned for a more in-depth analytical take on our impact in building a sustainable planet.

Photo for blog post Chira Highlights