Cafes and Copenhagen

Taking Climate Action

Marc

Written and published by: Meghan Cuddy

Before traveling to Copenhagen, I began searching various platforms for destinations I wanted to visit during my time here. I encountered architecture, thrift stores, and landmarks that were declared “hidden gems” or “must sees,” but everywhere I looked had one thing in common; the cafes. 

Copenhagen is infamous for their cafe scene, it’s on nearly every list for “Best coffee in Europe.” I was immediately captivated by the cafes I found online. On my second day here, I woke up early and walked to a coffee shop I found near our hotel. This commenced my journey indulging in as many of Copenhagen’s renowned cafes as possible.

One of my most notable experiences thus far has been going to Sakdt Peders Bageri. Located near the city center, its yellow building blends with the other colorful architecture and cobblestone streets, you would never know you were in Copenhagen’s oldest bakery. When we arrived, they had just opened and their pastries were still warm.

There is an abundance of other notorious cuisines that I can’t wait to try during my remaining time here, including square pistachio croissants and Copenhagen's staple, the cardamom bun. Although many of the bakeries are a long walk away, I am more than happy to sacrifice a minimal amount of sleep to experience some of the world's best cafes first hand. 

Photos credits: Meghan Cuddy