Cabrera Island!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jordan Peebles

This week our students went on their last fieldwork, excursion day to Cabrera Island! The entirety of this island is a national park, and no one has lived on the island since 1991. It is a protected area, meaning you cannot take anything or leave anything there that wasn’t there before. After an hour boat ride to the island, our students got right down to business. First we all hiked up to a cool castle on the island that provided amazing, beautiful views. It was a nice reward after a quick paced steep hike up!​

Photo for blog post Cabrera Island!

After coming back down from the castle we all started our fieldwork with our two amazing biology teachers, Bae and Mae. We got to see a bunch of different creatures native to the island like hermit crabs, sea shrimp, sea cucumbers, and of course tons of different fish. Our biology teachers explained to the students what all the creatures were and allowed them to pick them up/touch them when safe for the species, of course. We also all got to go snorkeling and a few students got to see the coolest thing yet- octopi !!! That was definitely a highlight of the day for a lot of students. 

Photo for blog post Cabrera Island!

After finishing fieldwork and snorkeling it was time to head back to the mainland of Mallorca, with another hour long boat ride. However, during the boat ride our students received their awesome surprise! A stopover in the blue cave, where students were able to jump in the water, swim around, and explore for a little bit of time before heading back to Mallorca. Everyone had a ton of fun and the students definitely enjoyed this surprise. Then we made our way back to Mallorca, had about an hour drive back to Palma, and called it a night after such a fun-filled adventure-packed day. I know all our students will miss attending such interesting fieldwork excursions!

Photo for blog post Cabrera Island!