Brussels Day 1

Inside World Governance

Hannah Hartsgrove

We had a full day of visits on our first full day in Brussels! First, we went to the Parliament of the European Union. At the Parliament, the students received a presentation on the mechanisms of the European Parliament. Students learned the purpose of the Parliament (as a voice for the people) and how they debate and pass laws. We were then able to see the Parliament room and ask questions. As a Social Studies teacher, I am always in awe of the students' thoughtful and insightful questions.

Next, we went to the European Commission, where we received another presentation. The Commission functions as the executive branch of the EU, and its purpose is to represent the interest of the EU as a whole. It was interesting to hear about the inner workings of the EU from two different perspectives, and the students were able to compare and contrast these different branches both against each other and against the United States government.

We finished the day at the Museum of the EU, where students were able to learn more about the history of the EU. This was a great tie-in to what they had been learning in class in the past week. Afterward, we got some yummy bao burgers for dinner!