Bonding with the Bard

Theatre Arts on London’s Stage

Alexis Savas

A visit to the Globe Theater was on many of our students' must-do lists here in London, and today their wish came true! We had a private guide who made us laugh with historical anecdotes about London during Shakespeare's time.

Did you know:

1. ..that a seated ticket at the Globe Theater during the Elizabethan era cost 6 pence-- or a day's wages.

2. ...that ALL of the roles on stage were originally played by men.

3. ...that there were spikes in between the groundling area and the seated area.... they really didn't want the people with the penny tickets sneaking a sit down.

4. ...that at that time, there was one bridge that crossed the Thames, and it was called the Bridge (they were so inventive back then!) It took one hour or more to cross this bridge by foot because of the number of people crossing. 

5. ...that there was no metal used in the construction of the Globe... they have wooden pegs holding the whole thing together.  It was built exactly as it would have been 500 years ago. It was basically the first piece of IKEA furniture.

After the tour and lunch, the group experienced what it was like to be a grounding- they had the best seats in the house!  They were right up against the stage, literally interactiing with the performers!  During this performance, several students noted that they understood much of the French being spoken during the performance- so kudos to their French teachers!  It was a non-traditional performance of Henry V, and the battle of Agincourt was funny, poignant, and engaging to our merry band of theater students here in London.