Bienvenidos a Palma de Mallorca

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Alexa Stickel

¡¡Hola amigos!!

We finally made it to Palma de Mallorca!! Our bodies may be a bit jet-lagged and tired, but we are emotionally revved up and ready to embark on an incredible program!

Today started with a typical Spanish breakfast of pastries and fruit in Bar Venecia, a restuarant just a few steps from Hostel Fleming where we are staying for the next two weeks. We walked about 20 minutes through the city, along with students from the Language and Culture program, to the Universitat de les Illes Balears, whose extension campus near the center of Palma will serve as our classroom while we're here.

During our Orientation day on campus, we've gotten to know our Program Leaders, CIEE in-country staff, and each other a little bit better. We went over some specifics about Mallorca, some differences between Spanish culture and U.S. culture, and some strategies for dealing with culture shock and homesickness. We also dove into details about logistics, housing, and food while we are on the program. (We had a lovely typical snack prepared for us: "bocadillos" or baguette sandwiches with either cheese, jamon serrano, or tortilla española inside.) The day ended with a walk back home, a stop at a local supermarket for purchasing last-minute necessities like adapters and toiletries, and a delicious dinner of salad, french fries, fried chicken, and grilled veggies at Bar Venecia restaurant.      

The video below is a little sneak peak at each student in our group (except for Paloma--she is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning, and we can't wait to meet her!), briefly introducing themselves, where they are from, and what they are excited to experience during their time in Mallorca.

Tomorrow will be our first day of Marine Biology class, followed by a Scavenger Hunt around the city. We are all so excited for what's to come! Thanks for visiting our blog-- stay tuned :) 

¡Hasta pronto!