Bienvenidos a Guanajuato!

Jennifer Tubbs

After a long journey, students were warmly received in Guanajuato by their host families, who greeted them with traditional Mexican enchiladas, molletes, and flan. 

The following day, students enjoyed a lively tour of the city with its many callejones and local artisanal shops filled to the brim with platos de barro and Huichol beaded jewelry. The leisurely stroll culminated with an in-depth orientation during which students learned about the NGOs we will be working with during our time in Mexico.

Yesterday was all about getting down to work! Students spent the morning and early afternoon painting, cleaning, and organizing the Albergue Hospital General de Guanajuato, a shelter located on the outskirts of the city. We were extremely proud of the tremendous enthusiasm and initiative that the students showed during their service time, even underneath the balmy Guanajuato sun.

Later, students participated in both a survival Spanish class led by native speaker Imelda and a Service and Leadership class that was chockful of fun activities like the Rope Corral and the Great Game of Power. All the activities were geared toward helping students discover their personal leadership style and cultivate effective strategies for group cohesion and teamwork. 

Tonight we have the opportunity to attend a festive nighttime callejoneada, during which students will learn more about the history of the city and enjoy the cultural traditions of Guanajuato while doing so.