Being the Change: Sustainability around campus

Climate Change Mitigation

Rachael Zahn

"You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make." -Jane Goodall

The first time we walked around campus we were busy taking in the sights and sounds of Monteverde. The past few days we have slow down and started to focus on what it takes to make this amazing and sustainable place run. 

http://youtu.be/1lJDzoOMBxQ

We explored topics from recycling, rain chains, bio digesters, greenhouses, sustainable coffee plants, laundry services, food waste, composting, and even met some of the animals that help in the process. 

During class we discussed the tangible impact of climate change and how it has personally affected us. Clay models were made to display sea level rises and a balloon demonstration on greenhouse gases certainly caught our attention. A tour of a local coffee farm helped us see the interconnectedness of everything around us. 

As we keep in mind Jane Goodall's words, we are doing are part to educate ourselves so that we can hopefully make a positive impact on our world.