Beach Day! Student Takeover: Jewel

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Adele Colwell

Today’s journey began with an early start, getting on the bus at 8:45 and heading off to the aquarium in Cabeção. The bus ride was filled with beautiful countryside scenery along with many sleeping students. After the nice long bus ride, we arrived at the Fluviário de Mora Aquarium. We were greeted by our tour guide who informed us of the freshwater species we would be seeing. We saw lots of fish, birds, and otters.

Photo for blog post Beach Day! Student Takeover: Jewel
Students imitating the freshwater fish 

After the nice tour of the aquarium, we made our way down to the beach located on a beautiful lake. All smiles were shown at our first appearance at a beach in Portugal. Luckily, when we arrived, food greeted us and our hungry stomachs. Everyone chowed down on the Chicken, Chips, and fresh tomatoes.

Students enjoying some lunch at the beach

Everyone enjoyed jumping off the dock, throwing the football, playing volleyball, laying out in the bright sun and even some chicken fights took place.

Enjoying some relaxing time at the river beach 

After a good time at the beach, we headed to the hotel where we would be staying, Hotel dos Templários. Once we arrived, almost everyone rushed to their rooms and headed to the pool. Following a quick dip, dinner was served buffet style featuring a fan favorite, CHICKEN! Finally, after dinner, we all went to explore the hotel and hang out with our friends before curfew. The first day in Tomar was a success!