Beach day!

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Flor Peraza

What did the CIEE students do on their 3rd weekend activities? Yep, they went to the beach!

July 3rd was basically the last Saturday they were going to have with their friends. Students knew this and they made sure to enjoy the whole day. 

We left Mérida at approximately 8:00 am, arriving at a paradise called “El Corchito”, a natural preserve only 22 miles away from the city. There you can swim in “ojos de agua” (natural springs) and contemplate the beautiful diversity of flora and fauna.

Students loved the place. Some of them went straight to take a dip in the beautiful fresh water. The place was amazing, the water in the springs so warm and crystal clear.

Students had the chance to see raccoons and badgers in the preserve. The little critters came through the mangroves and started to eat some food that the park guard had especially for them. We could even see babies! It was so fun; we took a lot of pictures and had a really good time.

Afterwards, we went to a restaurant that was very close to the seashore. While the students waited for their food; they went to swim in the ocean, and others built sandcastles and later a game of volleyball broke out!

The day ended with some good music on our way back to Mérida.