Ausflug nach Dresden!

German Language & Culture

Jennifer Pigge

The German Language and Culture Program spent our weekend in the historic city of Dresden. After we got settled in and enjoyed some lunch, we took walking tours of the old city. We learned about Dresden's central role for the royals of Saxony as well as Polish monarchs. We saw reconstructions of the bold architecture and art styles patroned by the royals who had their residence in Dresden, including porcelain, which, as we learned from our tour guides, Dresden was the first European city to produce. We learned about reconstruction efforts and controversies following the World War II bombing of Dresden which killed about 25,000 people and destroyed around 80 percent of the city center. We ended our tours at the famed Frauenkirche, the reconstruction of which did not finish until 2005. After some free-time exploring the old city, we enjoyed dinner together in groups.  

On Sunday we got to experience German Jugendherberge (youth hostel) style breakfast, complete with a selection of meats and cheeses! Program participants then had the choice between touring the Dresden Castle, learning about Dresden Fortress history through virtual reality, exploring the Dresden Transport Museum, or visiting the exhibits at the German Hygiene Museum. Check out our soon-to-come student blog for a window into the "Hello Happiness" exhibit at the Hygiene Museum! Before loading up on the bus to head back to Berlin, participants enjoyed a few final hours of free time to continuing exploring Dresden, hang out in a park, or enjoy the view from the ferris wheel!

All in all, we had a great getaway. We learned a lot, got to compare a very different German city to Berlin, and got to know one another better!