Art does not change anything, Art changes you.

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Alejandro Vazquez

Painting class

To start with an artistic week, the students received the artist Osvaa Káatsim, a Yucatecan painter who shared his artistic experience as well as different painting techniques. 
By asking questions about his profession and the different works that were presented to them as examples the students got to know more about the artist and his work. 
Now it was their turn to create their own universe through painting. 
One by one they created incredible paintings that reflected their way of feeling as well as their thoughts that they have had during their time in Merida.

Photo for blog post Art does not change anything, Art changes you.

Visiting museums 

To promote art among the students, they went to the museum of the city of Merida where different works of renowned artists of the city were presented, as well as historical artifacts of Merida. 
They learned about the history, the different cultures that passed through Merida. 
They chose their favorite artwork to present to their classmates and give an explanation about why they liked it and what it means to them. 

An example of this is from Piper who expressed.  

"Esta pintura es mi favorita porque representa la valentia, hay muchos colores asi que me gusta mucho"
"This painting is my favorite because it represents courage, there are a lot of colors so I like it a lot."