ARRIVING TO THE HEART OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Sheila Zarzuela

After many overnight flights and long layovers, the students finally arrived to “La Ciudad Corazón” (The Heart City) Santiago, the city located at the center of the country. They were all warmly welcomed by their host families with hugs and a home-cooked meals. The cool breeze of ceiling fans and protection of mosquito nets aided in their first night’s peaceful slumber.

Bright and early, the students were awaken by the aromas of Dominican coffee and desayuno(breakfast). CIEE Guaguas (local buses) picked up the students at their meetings points and led them to their informational orientation site for a heavy dosage of “ice breakers” to get their social interactions flowing and clarify the scope of the 3-week program. When the students were fully acquainted they enjoyed mini empanadas and pizzitas, as eating together is one of the biggest forms of community building in this culture.

Rest and lunch go hand-in-hand in the Dominican Republic, so lunch was served at the homestays with time allotted for napping. However, the pace of the day greatly increased with our walk through the busy streets of Calle del Sol. Starting at the Monumento de los Heroes de la Restauración and landing at the rustic Zumbador Arts restaurant. This journey gave students a chance to exchange currency, explore different markets, and observe cultural dynamics of the city.

By Kokayi & Sheila