And the Oscar goes to....

German Language & Culture

Julianne O'Connell

Guten Tag meine Damen und Herren!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

Our program is well underway and our students are fully integrated into their classes and cultural activities. One of the greatest joys of being in Berlin is that we get to experience a diverse metropolitan city with a dynamic history as well as a thriving cultural scene. The students experienced this yesterday as they participated in experimental theater and photo workshops. My fellow PL, Marvin, wrote about the students' experience in the photo workshop (click here to see some of their photos), and I want to share a bit about our foray into the dramatic arts.

Our instructor, Laurence, a dramaturge from France living in Berlin, led us in some warm-up exercises that included passing the imaginary ball, running around the room with intention, and being blown about by the wind. Then we worked on being in unison and communicating as a group. Lastly, she had smaller groups improvise and come up with a suspenseful scene focused around a mysterious box.

Our two hours together were full of challenges and laughter. Even participants who were skeptical at first ended up having a blast. While theater is not everyone's medium the students determined that they learned a lot. As a program leader is was wonderful to watch my group communicate in German and English with each other and build trust between themselves.

Next Monday our groups will switch and those who did theater will complete the photo workshop. I look forward to sharing what they learn then!

Until then be checking back for more updates on the amazing Berlin Language and Culture Session 1 experience!

Tschüssi!

Bye-Bye!

Julianne