An amazing first week in Paris and the environs

Liberal Arts

Barbara Swisher

What can we say, we were busy, busy busy.  Besides learning about the mode in France we have explored Paris and its surroundings.  Many of the excursions are connected with the study of fashion.  In our first week we fit in so much.

We enjoyed the cavernous art in the Atelier des Lumieres, Gustav Klimt's art surrounded us, up down and all around.  The following day brought us either learning about print making or exploring the Palais Galleria's amazing fashion exhibitions.  European fashion  starting in the 1700's and on.  We were particularly intrigued with the the 1997 Fashion Big Bang exposition.

Bastille Day, Le Quatorze Juillet found us at Galeries Lafayette Fashion Show.  The styles were original, with models gliding across the floor feet away from all of us.  Lots of new ideas for fashion styles.

Finishing off the week was a day trip to Chantilly.  Visiting  a Chateau with a fasinating collection of art, plus an informative hands on visit to a Lace making museum.  Do you recall Chanitlly Lace, and not to forget famous Chantilly  on desserts (where whipped cream originated, yum!)