The adventure continues! First few days in Alicante...the program

Carmen Ubarri

After orientation on Monday, the students were greeted very warmly by their Spanish host families. The next day the students attended classes in the morning for three hours with native instructors from Alicante, Spain. In the afternoon they went out with their Program Leaders and practiced what they had reviewed or learned in class that day. These activities are referred to as Misión Ñ  and is one of the most important parts of the curriculum here. The city becomes an extension of the classroom.  Their first two missions were to meet people in Alicante, introduce themselves, exchange general personal information and ask what to see and do in Alicante this summer and the second was to talk to a salesperson in a store about something they were interested in and ask questions about the item. They could buy the item or decline politely. After their mission, the students submit evidence to their program leaders that they have completed the task. This can be in the form of a text message, a video, an audio or a photograph.  After their Misión Ñ , the students head home to their Spanish families for lunch and for some free time. Later In the evening, students have a cultural activity. On Tuesday, the students visited the Castillo de Santa Bárbara.

Photo for blog post The adventure continues! First few days in Alicante...the program
Orientation with Rafael Valor, program coordinator 
Students attentively listening to Rafa as he explains everything they need to know about the program and their lives in Alicante with their host families, 
Grace and Maya making friends in the community as they carry on their mission. 

April talking to someone in the community.

Degefe carrying out his mission of talking about movies. 
Isaac practicing his language skills with someone in the community 
Kevin talking with a local.

Charles talking to someone in the community about places to visit in Alicante.   
Climbing up Mount Bencantil to the Castillo de Santa Bárbara built in the 9th century,. 

Everyone made it to the top! Enjoying breathtaking views of Alicante from the Castillo de Santa Barbara.