The Adventure Begins – Monteverde

Climate Change Mitigation

Brittany Sumner

Travel Day

The Climate Change Mitigation students made it safely to Monteverde yesterday evening! The bus ride was spent making new friends and watching the local ecosystems and towns pass by. They arrived at the campus and settled into their bungalows to the sound of rain on a tin roof and songbirds singing the sun to sleep. 

Photo for blog post The Adventure Begins – Monteverde
Orientation - The Impacts of Climate Change 

After a night's rest, students started the day early at 7 am and enjoyed a typical Costa Rican breakfast of rice, beans, eggs, and freshly squeezed juice! With a full stomach, they headed off to tour the Monteverde campus, and meet the local staff!

After touring campus they met their teacher, Pablo, to get a better understanding of what climate mitigation is.  In today’s introduction activity, students created an art piece of something they loved on an individual tile piece, and at the end of the class, their artwork was destroyed by a rock. Their tile being demolished was simulating how climate change impacts everything we care about.  Below is what one of the students, Halima thought about the experience:

Today was just the beginning of classes for students. Students will continue to learn about what Climate Change is, the effects that it has on our environment, and how mitigation can help reverse the effects. Stay tuned to see what we learn next!

Until next time,

Peaches and Brianna