Adapting to a New Routine

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jan A.

Living

Being part of the global navigators program, our living situation is much different than living with a host family. For the first two weeks of the program, we stayed in a hostel located pretty close to a central plaza in Palma. Never having stayed in one before, the environment  was actually really interesting because I was comfortable enough to feel like it wasn’t a hotel (my roommates and I often times left our door open too much haha) yet I still felt like I needed to protect my stuff. After the hostel in Palma, we went to Alcúdia and stayed at a camp sort of living situation a day before leaving to Menorca, where we stayed at another camp sort of living situation. Personally, the hostel was really fun but staying at a camp is a lot more interactive because there aren’t as much strangers that would require stricter supervision so I’ve enjoyed these past few days a lot!

Surprises

The food! I didn’t look at a Mallorquin diet before coming on the trip so the amount of simple sandwiches with a paste made of tomatoes and olive oil definitely surprises me. In addition, tortillas here are basically omelets but often times with potato and not just egg. Concerning society, I experienced this a few years ago in Slovakia but I love how much people walk and bike rather than driving for every little thing (something I wish we did in America!). Although I think it’s easier because of the seemingly closer knitted community in Palma and other cities in Mallorca as well as Menorca.

Typical activities/Daily life

In the pictures!

Until next time,

Jan Filip Alfaro