Active and immersed in Ferrara

Andrew Serio

Our young navigators returned from their weekend trip and immersed themselves once again in the fabric of Ferrara. It has been a week full of Italian language learning and practice along with participation in exciting and stimulating activities. Our youngsters engaged in hands-on demonstrations of pottery and pizza making, a role-playing challenge regarding climate change and even the reproducton of ancient callligraphy!

Monica Grandi, a local artisan specializing in the maiolica ceramic technique invited our brave navigators into her studio where she creates original artwork. After her demonstration, our youngsters got their hands right in and created masterpieces of their own. Their works need to be fired twice and in two weeks, when the final product is ready, our navigators will return to Monica to pick up their artwork just in time to bring home to loved ones. 

Our pizza making workshop was guided by a master pizzaiolo who has been featured even on American television! Our group had a great time learning the proper way to make and stretch dough, add toppings and bake the pizza until ready. After the cooking process, our navigators enjoyed the pizzas they had created and were awarded a certificate of accomplishment!

At the minatura workshop, our navigators were able to choose a word or name to write in the style of ancient calligraphy, guided by local experts.

The climate change session allowed our youngsters to discuss ideas and strategies that would make our world a better place to live.

As week two draws to an end, our navigators continue to utilize their Italian language knowledge with their professors, program leaders, local staff and many of the ferraresi that they meet while wandering the streets of this amazing city. 

Excitement is building up for this weekend's trip to la Serenissima, that is, the incredible city of Venice! Stay tuned for all the fascinating details!