24 Hours in Cesky Krumlov

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Elizabeth Chapman

This weekend, CIEE whisked our Global Navigators away to the fairytale town of Cesky Krumlov for another perspective on Czech culture, history, and art.

Photo for blog post 24 Hours in Cesky Krumlov
An aerial view of the town.
The journey took about three hours via our luxury bus.

Cesky Krumlov is renowned for its picturesque red-roofed horizon, excellently preserved historic monuments, and charming village life. Students began their journey with a walking tour of the city, which was influenced by Venetian architecture and artistic techniques.

The Vlatava River -- the same one that runs through Prague -- winds in a horseshoe around the town, creating a natural moat.
Global Navigators posing in front of the red-roofed horizon!
Ronnie beside a wall decorated with sgraffito, an Italian technique of creating patterns through scratching.
Jocelyn and Juliette in front of the renaissance tower of the castle.

Afterwards, a guided tour of the castle introduced students to the history of the village and its series of monarchs, who each contributed to the royal compound’s unique aesthetic.

Riley standing on top of the castle's walls, looking out into the city.

The evening was capped off with dinner at a vegetarian restaurant right beside the river.

Theresa is excited about Czech nachos!
Juliette painted a watercolor landscape of the city in her evening free time.

The following morning, students toured the castle’s baroque theater, designed to entertain the local community with plays and operas. The theater is a wonder of technical artistry and special effects – an array of sets can be changed in only seconds with a system of underground pulleys and gears, and special machines were used to mimic sound effects to enhance the storytelling.

After a visit to an early 20th century photography studio, students dined in a restaurant built in a former Renaissance-era building – lunch was cooked over an open fire!

Dani, Olivia, Sanaa, Riley, Lonnie, and Eliza are ready to don some medieval armor and take an axe to their roasted pork.

We boarded our bus back to Prague, tired but happy to have experienced life in this quaint corner of the Czech Republic!

Na shledanou, Cesky Krumlov!