Frederick Douglass Fellows in Cape Town

Communications

By Keshia Abraham 

The Frederick Douglass Global Fellows program is well underway in Cape Town. The 2018 Frederick Douglass Global Fellows — rising Sophomores or rising Juniors from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) who were selected for the competitive fellowship based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, leadership, and service to others — are a phenomenal group of young people representing a variety MSI institution types from across the United States. 

The Fellows’ enthusiasm and eagerness to learn is rewarding and inspiring.  After touring the city, one of the first things the group did was participate in an annual International Mandela Day of service by volunteering with the Yabonga Youth Center.

They worked as a group to paint the walls of the Yabonga Youth Center. They also had the chance to interact and engage with the Yabonga Youth Group. Lastly, they went with the Yaboga Youth Group to hand out gifts to the elderly mothers of the community of Khayelitsha.

It was so heart-warming to see the Fellows do the Name Game with the Yabonga Youth Group. They were so respectful and mindful of learning isiXhosa names and meanings of names. It was wonderful to hear one of the fellows, Carmen Crusoe, (from Howard University) thank the Yabonga Coordinator in isiXhosa on behalf of CIEE.

I can’t wait to learn more from this inspiring group of young people and to share their incredible stories!