WHAT TO EXPECT LIVING WITH GAS HEATING

Brooke C.

Hi there!

Here is a little update on what it is like to live with gas heating. I currently live with two other American teachers that work at the center. We've had to change our water heating gas tank several times, and each time has come with its pros and cons. Bottom line, if your water heater uses a gas tank, have some idea when it will run out (our's lasts about a month). We have a business card for a certain company along with a phone number that we can call, and then within an hour, they come and switch out our gas tank. It's 50dh (plus 10dh tip). If you are switching gas tank companies (as we had to do), then it is 100dh for the initial switch. 

Be sure to have them check to make sure the valve is securely fastened, so as to make sure that no gas is leaking. In our villa, our kitchen windows cannot shut completely, therefore, in case of a leak, at least we have a constant source of 'fresh air'. 

The heater is also powered by DD batteries that can be easily purchased from our local hanoot. So, if you encounter a problem, first check the batteries, and then check the gas tank (in our experience). Odds are that they won't speak English (an issue for me as my French and Darija are almost non-existent), so make sure to get someone to help you if you are in a similar language boat. 

Also, expect about 1-2 minutes of hot water. We adjusted ours as it was producing ridiculously boiling water for 30 seconds before reverting to freezing (NOT a good situation in the winter). 

Our stove is also powered by a gas tank, and it has lasted five months so far...we are keeping our fingers crossed!

Until next time, 

Brooke