Unstoppable

Erika N.

Do you remember when you were little and nothing seemed to scare you? When an adult would ask "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Your eyes would light up and without hesitation, you would shout back "I want to be the President of the United States, a movie star, teacher or (my ultimate favorite) a superhero." It seemed as if anything was possible. The darkness of the world was covered by the fairy tales our parents used to tell us. We had no concept of insecurities or the pain of a heartbreak. Ok, maybe some of us did, after finding out that the tooth fairy and Santa Claus weren’t real. But to be honest, I am perfectly content with the fact that my parents decided to shield me from the harsh realities of the world. I look at the trials and the pain we experience as we mature. Some of us take that pain and turn it into strength while others get stuck in the quicksand sinking further and further into a deep and hard-to-get-out-of depression. I know that we all face our own battles. It can seem as if life is unfair and most certainly unkind.

But I hope you can find it in your heart to go back to that little kid inside of us all. The one that believed we could save the world. We are meant to be filled with love, happiness, and hope. And to share that with others. Who knows, sometimes our kindness and compassion can touch the heart of one or many. Leading by example that we are a beautiful, unstoppable work in progress.