Tayla's Intro Blog Post - Thailand Teach Abroad

Tayla B.

Hello!  My name is Tayla.  I was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts where I studied finance and then later got my Master’s in Education.  I’ve lived in Massachusetts for most of my life, and have been living in Atlanta, Georgia for the past two and a half years or so.  Throughout this time, I have been trying to find my way in regards to a career path that feels right and authentic to me.  The right mixture of something that I can enjoy doing where I feel like I’m making a difference and/or fulfilling some kind of purpose, in addition to having freedom and flexibility to still partake in things that I enjoy, while making a decent salary. 

I started out working in corporate America as a finance major, realized it wasn’t for me, mainly due to the cut throat environment where money is always the main motivation.  I quickly made a transition into higher education.  Since then, I have worked all types of positions from administration to IT support and data analysis.  Earlier this year, I had been working as an administrator at a large university in their graduate school of business.  This was like a 9-5 kind of job, and I had a lot of flexibility and was making a decent salary, but I felt something was missing. 

I wanted to be in a role that was more challenging, where I felt like I could make a bigger impact and not be so restrained with a 9-5 kind of lifestyle that takes up all my time and usually drains me of all my energy by the time I come home.  I also have always wanted to live abroad and travel the world.  What better time to do it when I am young, single and with nothing holding me back? 

I started researching different types of opportunities abroad and came across the CIEE (Council for International Education and Exchange) website.  After doing some research and applying, four months later I am here teaching in Thailand.  I want to share this experience with others, especially people of color who are interested in living and/or teaching abroad and would like an open and honest look into my experiences.  I want to provide insight into my personal experience; not only as an American but also, as black female living abroad and what that unique experience is like from a cultural lense. 

Colorism and sexism is something that is very real in other countries and it is not really discussed or viewed as something that needs to be addressed in any way, shape or form.  Specifically, here in Thailand there is a large issue of colorism, where the lighter the skin, the better or more attractive you are viewed.  When shopping in stores, almost all of the skin and soap products contain skin lightening ingredients.  On a scorching hot day people will wear long sleeve clothing to avoid being tanned by the sun.  When living in America, these things are being addressed and worked on, where all colors and skin tones are being represented and acknowledged for their unique beauty and diversity. 

I was very nervous and anxious about traveling abroad to a place where these things are not only not discussed, but it is just the cultural norm.  The same way some Americans just view tanning as a cultural thing to do, the Thai view lightening their skin as a cultural thing to do.  For someone who is a of a darker brown skin, I like to take pride in my skin tone and accepting my color for what it is; whether light or dark.  I believe we should love the skin we are in, without wanting to be lighter or darker.  Accept the beauty that God has given you.  I believe we are all here not by coincidence and for all of the events that lead up to each and everyone’s birth, we should have such gratitude to see that we are all created uniquely and individually by a creator that doesn’t make mistakes.  I don’t want to get too deep into it, but I am looking to use this blog to document my experience in this country as a Black American woman living in Thailand.  I will touch upon all aspects of living abroad, including the teaching/working, culture with food/entertainment, local travel and neighboring countries; as well as my personal experiences and day to day interactions.  I hope to bring insight and perspective to anyone looking to travel and teach abroad. 

Look out for my next article that will go into further detail on the eight main reasons why I decided to quit my 9-5 job and teach abroad, and some of the things I hope to get out of it.