Taking a Leap of Faith and Landing in Thailand

Arayna W.

Hello all! My name is Arayna and this will be my blog chronicling my life in Thailand. I am excited to share this journey with you all and have something to look back on and commemorate this time!

A little bit about me: I am 23 years old and from the southeast of the U.S. I graduated from the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) in May 2021. I have a bachelor’s in public relations and a double minor in psychology and creative writing.

I have experience in corporate and non-profit communications, corporate and agency-run human resources, a plethora of customer service-related work, but absolutely no experience in teaching.

That is exactly the reason I wanted to come here. To step completely out of my comfort zone and do something I’d never thought I’d do. If someone told me a few years ago that I’d be living in rural northern Thailand teaching high schoolers, there is no way I would’ve believed it. Now I cannot imagine doing anything else during this time.

Why Thailand? This is my first time going abroad, so it was a big adjustment moving here. I have always wanted to live abroad and one of the main reasons was so that I could immerse myself in a completely different culture and experience things different from what I have known. Thailand is the only southeast Asian country to never be colonized and their culture is integral part of their daily life. I am excited to learn more and take part in the Thai lifestyle.

Why Now? There is no moment like the present. I have never known what I wanted to be when I grow up and I still don’t know. What I do know is that I want a life full of stories and adventures to marvel on. I am not sure what the future will hold, but I feel like I am where I am supposed to be for now. I am taking in and appreciating every minute of it.