Spanish Love Connection

Brittani C.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

With my departure date sneaking up on me, I've found myself mentally preparing to live in Spain again. In the depths of my thoughts I had an epiphany: living in Spain is like being in a relationship. You're like... what? But yes, it's true. When you first arrive in your host country, your entire being buzzes with excitement at the idea of falling in love with something new, and meeting someone new prompts the same response. Your heart is open, your mind is alert and strategic, and most of all, you're blissfully ignorant to the challenge that lies ahead. Once you meet this person and once you land in Spain, you're hooked. Their intricacies and personalities are striking, the list of things to learn about them never-ending.

As quickly as the honeymoon phase began, it's even quicker to come to a screeching halt. Spain is a beautiful country that has countless distinct qualities to keep you on your toes, but once the initial novelty of moving abroad wears off, you're left to notice the cultural differences, the unfamiliarity, and the real kicker: you are in fact thousands of miles from home. Immersing yourself in another world or in another person's presence can be challenging. It's like falling out of the infatuated puppy-love phase with your new significant other. Now is the time to notice the little things that annoy you and push your buttons; the way he or she chews too loud, the way he leaves his clothes on the floor, the way she rolls her eyes when you argue. Spain is no different. The culture is much different from that of your own, and you will notice the staring, the lack of personal space, and the convenient way that Spaniards don't get in a hurry about A N Y T H I N G. However, although this is when the imperfections show and your nerves are tested, it's a beautiful time that should not be overlooked or rushed through in either situation.

When you get frustrated with someone you love, you choose to love them in spite of their flaws. It's a choice to be happy and it's an even tougher choice to love them anyway. Tapping into this mindset during your time in Spain can be extremely beneficial for you. You will have days that you feel out of place and you will most likely get homesick at some point to some degree. It's important that during those days you make the conscious decision to make the most of the opportunity you've been given and continue your adventure into the unknown.