Private Tutoring Tips

Katie K.

Throughout orientation in August I remember thinking “no way. I’m not doing private tutoring after a five - seven hour work day.” Little did I know I’d be doing two classes a week and fall in love with the little girls I spend my afternoons with. 

Here are some tips for finding/planning for private classes:

• How to find classes - My first week at my school I tried to talk to as many of the teachers as possible. Spaniards really won’t go out of their way to introduce themselves to you so you have to put in the effort or initiate conversation. This really worked in my favor because one of the teacher’s sister was looking for a tutor for her daughter and her daughter’s friend. This led to another class with a friend of the mother. Like anything else, it really is word of mouth. Talk to as many people as possible and express your desire for private classes.
  • Prices - I went on the lower end because it was my first time giving classes and I was a bit intimidated. I regret this now. I recommend charging €20 per hour for one student and €25-30 for two kids in the same hour.
  • Planning - Pinterest has become my best friend (as if it wasn’t before). This is where I find the worksheets that I practice with my students. I’m lucky enough to dictate what we will do for the week but I recommend communicating with the parents to know if they have things in mind that they want you to teach/reinforce. A lot of weeks I will get to the houses of the students I tutor and the mom will ask me to do one thing when I have planned something else. Be flexible and understanding.
  • Games - I brought flashcards from home that I bought at Target. The flashcards have basic vocabulary in Spanish/English and the students LOVE them. It becomes a sort of challenge/competition to see if they can beat their time to match them or to memorize them. Games are key when tutoring because they want to win and get better. Repetitiveness is also key for them to remember the things you teach them.
  • Themes - one of my favorite things to do with the students is to teach them about American culture/holidays. In November we spent a week doing Thanksgiving worksheets and activities. This gives them a taste of what your traditions are like and helps them learn new vocabulary.
  • Tell them about yourself - I showed my students ONE video of my 3-year-old nephew and ever since after every class they ask about him and ask to see more videos/pictures. It’s nice for them to know about your life and your family because they will absolutely start to admire and love you.

The most important thing when tutoring is having fun. The students and parents will notice if you show up miserable every week and it’s more enjoyable for you as well when you get creative.