Piso Pointers

Brittani C.

Hi everyone! Long time no see-- or talk I guess? I wanted to post a little something in celebration of my roomates and I finding a piso! We had such good luck, I thought it would be helpful to current/future participants who are still looking (or will be soon) if I posted a few things that we noticed really made a difference!

1. We called everyone or contacted them via WhatsApp/text using my Spanish phone number. If you or someone in your group has one, use it! We noticed that the number of responses really went up after utilizing that tool. Contacting via email also works, but we found the most effective way to be by phone (if the agent/owner's number is posted).

2. A good way to avoid agencies and their fees is to only contact the phone numbers that begin with a 6. Given, the agent themselves may have a 6 number so make sure to ask about honorarios (agency fees)! If you see a phone number that starts with 9, you're probably calling your local Área Casa or RedPiso.

3. Although agency fees can be scary (one month of rent + IVA taxes), they can also be well worth it. Agencies are EVERYWHERE though, so if you can afford one it will probably end up getting you a piso much quicker. My roommates and I used one and are completely in love with our piso.

4. This is common sense, but if you know people who have connections in the city or you yourself have them, use networking to your advantage. This can also go for agents. They often have other properties that they're showing and would love to take you to another viewing, so just ask! It's an easy way to see more pisos all in one day.

5. The best advice that I received was not to settle for the first thing you're offered. If you're persistent and know what you want, you WILL find it eventually, even if it takes a little longer than your (probably) stressed out self is comfortable with. 

We were so incredibly fortunate to find a piso within a week of arriving, just in time to start teaching! I will say that in the Basics program it was overwhelming because we only had two nights in the hotel and only a week to do everything (abono, bank account, phone plan, piso) before work started. I hope these pointers help you in your search or your future search. Buena suerte and happy hunting!