My Visa Journey in Spain: Realizing the Truth and Reflections

Austin C.

The day of the second appointment I promised myself that I wouldn’t leave the police station until I understood everything they said and required of me. I went after school, waited in line, and finally sat down in front of a different official. Thank goodness, someone else! Maybe I’ll understand her better. I didn’t. Her Spanish was even faster and more incomprehensible than the other official, so I timidly told her to repeat. In the end, I broke down and asked her if she spoke English. She did! It turns out that my current visa wasn’t expired. Neither did she think I was applying for my TIE with my old visa. In fact, I didn’t even appear in the system, so they couldn’t accept my documents. I had to go to the Delegacion del Gobierno to get the problem fixed.

She gave me a stamp which meant that I could return without an appointment and showed me how to get to my destination. What a blow to my pride in my language abilities, but what a relief to know the truth.

The next day I went to the Delegacion. A man in his late thirties took me in and expressed to me how bizarre it was that I didn’t appear in the system. After calling someone on the third floor, he sent me upstairs and assured me that everything would be done there. Once in the correct office, a young man sat me down and asked me to explain the situation. I did, and he searched for me on the computer. Of course, he couldn’t find me either, but he said that it wasn’t a problem, that he would fix it all.

Photo for blog post My Visa Journey in Spain: Realizing the Truth and Reflections

During those several minutes waiting, the civil servant and I had an interesting conversation about the origins of my current issue. In English, he said that the individual who processed my paperwork in Los Angeles probably forgot to finish it, which would explain my absence. In other words, individual error.

Then, he divulged some information that I’m not sure that I should know. Apparently, my consulate and a few others make quite a few errors when it comes to doing visas and other legal paperwork. In other words, bureaucratic incompetence.

He also said that the situation is not helped by the fact that his department and the one controlling the consulates don’t even work together in this process. One doesn’t have any more authority or sway over the other. In other words, a lack of centralization and good interdepartmental communication.

Finally, he said that, according to his father, a lot of the computer errors and glitches in the system are very likely caused by Russian cyberattacks. In other words, sabotage and spying?   

To say the least, I was blown away by everything that this man was saying. He certainly could paint a colorful picture of all the possible reasons why I didn’t appear in the system. When an older woman, who also had been fixing my visa problem, finally informed me that everything was resolved, I was relieved. They told me that I could go to the police station the same day, drop off my documents, and get my fingerprints taken. I gladly thanked the two civil servants and left that intriguing office. Once at the police station, I did everything in 10 minutes and was told to come back in 30 days. There wasn’t a single issue this time.

Some Reflections

On the Thursday before Christmas, I went back to the police station for my TIE. Finally, I got it! I was so happy that everything was finished!

Now, I know that my circumstance was a little extreme and something for which you could not prepare nor prevent. However, I did learn a few things that I believe can apply to everyone as they go through this laborious and slow process:

1. Rely on CIEE staff and advisors to help you get through all the red tape. They are there to support and guide you. 
  2. Have all your documentation ready and have several copies of everything.
  3. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
  4. Your pride is less important than knowing the facts. Never leave a place without understanding everything, even if you think that you speak the language perfectly.
  5. Be persistent and patient.
  6. Don’t give up.

Of course, I would never wish what occurred to me on anyone, but if something does happen, take a deep breath. Keep in mind the reason for all this; you are in Spain to teach, and to do that, you must follow and comply with the entire process for being legal, no matter where it might lead.