The Most Important Things to Bring Abroad With You

Teach in Thailand Program

Arayna W.

The most daunting part of a trip - whether it lasts one week, one month or one year - is packing. The indecision of what to bring and what to leave behind can be stressful and puzzling. 

Like many others, I overpacked. I only brought 1 checked bag, 1 carry on and 1 backpack. I was proud of myself for sticking to that but I still have many clothes and things I never use. It is always a good idea to research your destination and see what is available to you. Most of the time you can get clothes (that you prefer) once you arrive at your destination, so do not bring everything in your closet.

What am I glad I brought? 

• A jacket: People joke that the three seasons in Thailand are: hot, hotter and hottest. While it is true that it gets extremely hot, what you do not hear as often is that sometimes it can get a little chilly in their winter months in the early morning and late night - at least in Northern Thailand this is true.
  • Books: I prefer physical books over digital ones and I am so glad I brought some with me. Like I said - I didn’t bring too many bags with me but I did bring three books that I read throughout my time here. It was always nice to reignite that hobby when I had some free time here and there.

But honestly the most important things you need to bring abroad with you are not things that you can put into a suitcase. These three things will make all the difference and help you throughout your journey:

1. An open mind: You will be experiencing a new culture and way of life. Do not compare everything to your home country - immerse and experience the newness.
  2. A good attitude: This is call the land of smiles for a reason. People are friendly and want to help you, return the gesture. Try not to let little inconviences ruin your day.
  3. Realistic expectations: Every day will not be a walk in the park, but you can still have a wonderful experience. Just remeber, while abroad, it is still normal life and there will be ups and downs